Welcome, my name is Lauren and this is my literary blog. This blog is where I post things I've written from short stories to haikus.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Poem--I Saved a Piece of You

I wrote this poem over my last Christmas break. The poem is called "I Saved a Piece of You". The inspiration for this poem came at about 3am one night over my break for the Holidays. I was laying in my bed, my mind wandering and all of the sudden I was wide awake, thinking about this person who I literally have not talked to in years, but once loved very, very much. It made me sad, but it also made my creativity stir, so I wrote this free verse poem.



"I Saved a Piece of You"


In a random passing moment I remembered what I forgot.
When I opened up the box, there I saw
your barely legible script smiling back at me
and I realized...I had
saved it all.

Piece by piece I unpacked you from my chest:
Birthday cards, napkins, post-it notes,
Scribbled back sides of printed pages. Every
Significant or trifle thing ever written to me

In your own hand.
I kept it.

Most of them were silly things, scrawled out in a hurried note,
but still, every word rang with
your love.

I can’t believe I saved it all.
It’s been months.
It’s been years now.
So long since I’ve known your love or the feel of your hand
on mine.

And look what I held on to.
A sad attempt to keep a piece of you, of us,
with me.

I keep hoping that someday someone else will come along
and scribble out notes I’ll want to keep.
But no one’s come. Only you’ve gone.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren, I absolutely love your writing and didn't know you had such a beautiful gift for words.

    Eva :)

    ReplyDelete